The ancient city of Kyoto in Japan is where the country’s revered tea ceremony was born. It’s natural that the birthplace of Japanese tea culture is also the home of one of its most prized tea leaves – the Matcha tea leaf. This high grade tea leaf is grown and harvested exclusively in the Uji hills surrounding the proud city.
Specifically, it is close to the river that the tea plants are grown. This is due to the higher fertility of the soil. Packed with nutrients and moisture flowing down from the hills, it’s believed that it’s this special soil that gives Matcha tea leaves their signature deep and mellow taste.
Health benefits of matcha tea:
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar.
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- Prevents disease
Before they are harvested, our Matcha tea leaves are allowed to grow in the shade for up to 30 days. Upon being plucked, they are immediately steamed and dried to ensure the flavour is preserved on its journey to your tea cup or tea pot.
The special conditions and techniques used in the growth of Matcha tea leaves give it a deep taste and wonderfully silky and noble aroma. When comparing Matcha tea leaves, it is noted that as one moves up the scale toward the top grade the colour becomes a brighter shade of green, with an enriched mellow and smoother taste to match.